BigBlueButton – Audio/Video Issues
BigBlueButton by Blindside Networks is a web conferencing system designed for online learning and is the default application for Conferences in Canvas. BigBlueButton enables the sharing of audio, slides, chat, video, and desktop applications with students and invited guests.
For a more detailed tutorial, see the BigBlueButton setting up audio tutorial video.
- Verify you are using the correct equipment, it is plugged in and selected as the channel to use.
- Toggle sharing off and on using the headphone icon in the upper left and go through audio wizard again.
- Select no after audio test to switch to Flash audio.
- Use the Dial # to connect via phone.
- To record a conference the box for ‘Enable recording for this conference’ must be checked when creating the conference Note: This only makes it possible to record and does not actually start the recording.
- If enable recordings was not checked when creating a conference you can click the gear icon to the right of the conference and select ‘Edit’ to enable recordings.
- Recording of the conference can be started and stopped by clicking the ‘bullseye’ icon in the top bar of the conference.
- Recordings will be available after a conference has been concluded and the recording is processed. Processing time varies based on the length of the recording and server load.
- Recordings can be accessed by clicking the name of the conference under ‘Concluded Conferences’ which will display the length of the recording in hh:mm format and the View button on the right to open the recording in another browser tab.
- Once opened the recording can be downloaded by right clicking in the recording and selecting ‘Save video as’.
- Since the recording is hosted on blindsidenetworks.com and not Canvas you can also share the url with anyone to view the recording. No login is required.
Unable to see an active conference to join
- Verify that the participant has been invited to the conference.
- Check to see if the conference is being hosted on a group page instead of the main conferences page.
Unable to do desktop sharing as presenter (Safari and FireFox)
- Test your Java Applet to ensure you are running the latest version.
- Install or update Java after testing failure and run test again.
- Additionally, after updating Java ‘allow’ Java to run in your browser when prompted on web browser screen.
Check out the webinars and workshops we offer to learn more about potential BigBlueButton training opportunities.
Did you find this article helpful?