Migrate a Course
- Course Migrations facilitated by Rutgers Teacher and Learning with Technology
- Course Migrations coordinated by your Department or Business Unit
- Choosing to Migrate your Course yourself **
- No Migration - Start Fresh in Canvas
Course Migrations facilitated by Rutgers Teaching and Learning with Technology
Once your course content is fully migrated, be sure to request a Live Course Site for your course using the instructions detailed on this page, or else you will be unable to launch.
The migration process will only migrate your course content and will not affect your current course in the LMS you are currently teaching. You will have time to explore the features in the new system and finalize your migrated content before teaching in it.
The Migration Process
1. Submit Request via Online Form
To ensure the correct course is migrated, have the course details available on hand before submitting the request form. This may include: Course ID#, Course URL, Display Code and Section, Year, Term.
Course documents, assignments, assessments, questions pools, embedded videos and structure are transferred from the copied course to a Sandbox Course Site in Canvas.
- Copying eCollege, Sakai, Moodle, or Blackboard to Canvas will be completed manually by TLT staff.
- The time to conduct a manual migration varies; hence, an exact timeframe for completion cannot be provided but please allow 6 to 8 weeks.
- A copy of the course is created so that the original is not disturbed.
- If any content could not be replicated in the new system, it is notated within an “issue tracker”.
The Instructional Designers from TLT will review the Sandbox Course Site to ensure all content has been migrated over.
- Instructional Designers may make notations about the course structure and make suggestions for improvement when necessary.
- The ID will email the instructor informing them of the completed migration.
- The email will contain a summary of any issues encountered during migration, any areas for improvement, an invitation to meet with the ID to go over the course together, and instructions on how to request a live course shell.
After the content have been migrated over into a Canvas Sandbox Course Site and handed off to the Instructor, it is time to begin reviewing and updating the content to prepare for the upcoming semester. Instructors must request a Live Course Site.
New faculty are encouraged to visit the Getting Started Page and Training Opportunities.
If you have any further questions about this process, please contact Bernadette M. Power, Senior Program Coordinator, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Did you find this article helpful?