LockDown Browser - Students
LockDown Browser is a locked browser for taking quizzes in Canvas. It prevents you from printing, copying, going to another URL, or accessing other applications during an assessment. If a Canvas quiz requires that LockDown Browser be used, you will not be able to take the quiz with a standard web browser.
LockDown Browser should only be used for taking Canvas Quizzes. It should not be used in other areas of Canvas.
Installing LockDown Browser
If LockDown Browser has already been installed, skip to the next section. If not, LockDown Browser must be installed on each computer (Windows or Mac) being used to take a test.
- Go to a quiz with LockDown Browser enabled and click Take the Quiz. You will be taken to a page indicating LockDown Browser is required that will have a link to download the program.
- Follow the onscreen instructions to complete the installation.
Note: If you have an older version of the browser already installed you may need to uninstall it and install the latest version using the instructions above.
Taking a Quiz/Exam
- Close all programs currently running, unless one is used to connect you to the Internet.
- Locate the “LockDown Browser” shortcut on the desktop and double-click it. (For Mac users, launch “LockDown Browser” from the Applications folder.)
- If prompted to close a blocked program (e.g. screen capture, instant messaging) choose Yes when prompted.
- In the Choose Server dialog box select Rutgers Canvas and click OK. This will take you to the Canvas login page where you can login and access your course.
- Navigate to the quiz and select the Take a Quiz link.
- Once a quiz has been started with LockDown Browser, you cannot exit until the Submit Answers button is clicked.
- After completing your quiz and clicking Submit Answers close LockDown Browser and log back into you course using your preferred browser before doing any additional work in the course.
If you have problems downloading, installing, or taking a test with Respondus LockDown Browser, contact the Teaching and Learning with Technology(TLT) Help Desk via email or call 877-361-1134 available 24/7.
Did you find this article helpful?