How do I contact my Instructor?
If you know the name of your instructor or teaching assistant, you can use the People Search Directory.
The People Search Directory will allow you to find contact information including phone numbers and email addresses of Rutgers faculty, staff and students.
Instructor Listing in Schedule of Classes
Checking the Syllabus
More often than not, instructors will provide their contact information in the course syllabus. Here are a couple ways to find the syllabus.
Please note: Syllabus might not be available until the first day of class.
- The syllabus may be uploaded to the Learning Management System. The document would be located in the Course Navigation or under the Sakai Dropbox / Canvas Files / Moodle Resources.
- The syllabus may be posted on the Department or School Website. You can try and search on the Rutgers Website Search Directory
Communication in the Learning Management System
There are several tool used to communicate inside Sakai. The instructor must enable the tool before it is available to students.
- Mailtool: An embedded tool that allows you to generate and send e-mail to selected site participants, as well as external people.
- Messages: Display messages to and from users of a particular Sakai site
- Chat Room: Allows site participants to engage in structured, archived, and real-time conversations online.
If enabled in the site, you may also be able to find the Instructors email using the Site Info or Site Members tool.
Canvas uses internal messaging tool used instead of email to communicate with a course, a group, an individual person. Once the message is sent, the recipient will receive a Email Notification delivered to the email address associated with their account.
To send a message to your instructor in Canvas: At the bottom of Global Navigation, click the Help link and Select "Ask Your Instructor a Question"
Moodle uses a tool called Course Email to communicate with a course or an individual person. Once the message is sent, the recipient will receive a Email Notification delivered to the email address associated with their account.
Did you find this article helpful?