Java File Association
Certain applications utilizes the Java Network Launching Protocol (JNLP) to launch a session. Therefore, it is necessary for your computer to recognize the JNLP file type and be able to execute the Java Web Start program.
To modify the file association to have JNLP files open with Java Web Start on your computer, follow the steps below:
- Right click the downloaded .JNLP file and select Properties.
- Under the General Tab, click Change.
- The Open with window will appear.
- If there is a listing for Java(TM) Web Start Launcher in this window, select it and click OK, then proceed to step #7.
- If there is no listing for Java(TM) Web Start Launcher in this window, proceed to step #4.
- Click the Browse button.
- Navigate to the Java directory on your computer.
- C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.8.0_144\bin
- C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre1.8.0_144\bin
Note: the number following "jre" above will vary depending on your installed version of Java.
- Select javaws.exe and click Open.
- Click OK.
- If prompted, click Unblock.
- Click OK.
Mac OS X
- CTRL + click on the downloaded .JNLP file.
- Select Open With.
- Click on Other....
- Change the Enable option to All Applications.
- Check the Always Open With box.
- Using the browse window, navigate to:
- Macintosh HD\System\Library\CoreServices\Java Web Start.app.
- Click Open.
Did you find this article helpful?