Kaltura MediaSpace™ (KMS)
Build your own private YouTube™ with Kaltura MediaSpace™ Video Portal, the market-leading rich media portal for every use-case.
With the MediaSpace Video Portal, users can securely create, upload, share, search, browse, and watch live and on demand videos, presentations, webcasts, and other rich media content, anytime, anywhere. MediaSpace provides a superb cross-device user experience, unmatched user engagement capabilities, and powerful control and governance tools.
MediaSpace encourages community, collaboration, learning, and social activities through the power of online video. In the past, single administrators or small teams within the organization would publish to a large audience. MediaSpace revolutionizes this process by enabling democratization of media creation and sharing with many contributors, moderators, and viewers in a multitude of channels.
This service is offered to the Rutgers community at no cost.
How to Access your KMS Account
Kaltura MediaSpace™ Video Portal
You will need the following information to successfully login to your Rutgers MediaSpace account:
- Your Rutgers NetID
- Your password for your NetID
To Log In:
- Go to the Rutgers MediaSpace Homepage
- Click on either ‘My Media’ or ‘Guest’ in the upper right corner.
- RMS uses Single Sign-On, so if you are already logged in somewhere else, you will be taken straight into the ‘My Media’ tab, if not, you’ll be taken to the login page.
- Enter your credentials and click ‘login.’
- You should now see your name appear on the upper right corner of the page.
- Select Media Upload from the Add New dropdown menu.
- After the Upload Media page is displayed. Select + Choose a file to upload.
- In the Select file to upload window, select a media file to upload and click Open.
- As the file uploads you may begin adding the details to the file. The details include:
- Name: this is the only required field. It will be prominently displayed above the media.
- Description: this is displayed below your media and allows you to write additional supplementary information.
- Tags: these are used when searching for your media within MediaSpace.
- When you are finished editing the details, click 'Save.' You may continue uploading more files by clicking the '+ Choose another file' button and repeating steps 2–3 above.
- Please note that at this point you may not be able to view your media and you may see the message: 'This media is still being converted.' This is completely normal. Your media will continue to process even if you navigate away from MediaSpace.
The My Media and Media Gallery Tools inside Canvas are linked to your KMS account.
You can embed media from My Media anywhere you see this toolbar. Simply click the Kaltura icon.
Using the My Media Tool in Canvas will be similar to the KMS Page. Please refer to this link for instructions on how to use My Media.Instructors: If the links do not appear, Click Here for instructions to add them.
Media Gallery will display any media that is published to the course. The media is not directly related to course content.
If you are plan to embedding video/audio in an assignment or discussion, you only need to use My Media.
The My Media Tool inside Sakai are linked to your KMS account.
The "My Media" tool can be found in "My Workspace". "My Media" allows users to upload, create, edit and share media. The tool is titled "My Media" because it only displays the content owned by the user logged in. Therefore, users do not see anyone else's content unless it has been shared with them. It is not necessary to add "My Media" to specific Sakai sites in order to utilize the tool since it is already in "My Workspace".
Additional Support Guides for Sakai
The My Media and Kaltura Media Library Tool inside Sakai are linked to your KMS account.
To access your “My Media” page, go the Moodle home page, click on your name in the top right corner of Moodle, and in the drop down menu select “My Media”.
You can use the ADD NEW button to add different types of media to your library, depending on what you want to do.
To access your course gallery page, go into your course, and in the red menu bar at the top, open “This course” and at the bottom of the list select “Kaltura Media Library”.
You can add videos from your personal Media Library to your Course Library. Students can also publish their videos to the Course Library. Comments can be added to videos viewed in the Course Library to start an engaging discussion on the content.
You can add Kaltura Resources and Activities to your course page as well.
Kaltura Video Resource – this simply creates a link to a video file that you upload to the Kaltura server or record on the fly while creating the link.
Kaltura Media Assignment – this allows you to create a dropbox for your students to submit one video to you (instructor) for grading and feedback.
Did you find this article helpful?