What is iClicker?
iClickers allow instructors to ask questions and gather student responses during a lecture. Clicker systems are also commonly called Classroom Response Systems, or Audience Response Systems.
In iClicker systems, each student uses a device, an “iClicker”, that looks like a TV remote to answer questions posed by the instructor. Summaries of student responses can be shown in real time to both instructors and students. Answers are stored electronically for later viewing.
How can I use iClicker?
iClicker provides faculty and students with an Audience Response System that can be used in classrooms. Currently our integration supports iClicker base systems used in conjunction with either iClicker devices or mobile devices that have downloaded the iClicker web application. iCicker base stations can be acquired by instructors by contacting iClicker and requesting one at 866-209-5698 (in the USA). Also you can contact Digital Classroom Services to find out if your classroom already has a system in place.
For student iClicker devices, instructors need to contact the Bookstore prior to the start of the semester and inform them of how many devices they will need to run their courses. The Bookstore will then make sure that enough devices are acquired for student purchase.
How do I install it?
Instructors are advised to use the most current version of the iClicker software with Canvas.
- Instructors will need to download the software directly from the iClicker site: https://www1.iclicker.com/downloads-release-notes/
- After the program is installed, you will need to run/open it once.
- Close the program.
- After the first initiation, a new set of folders will be added to your computer. In the iClicker folder, you will need to add the XML file linked here to the resources folder created on the iClicker install.
- Now you should be able to open the iClicker software and navigate to the gradebook tab to sync your roster and being using the tool.
Sakai Users should download the application from OIRT (not from iClicker). Our version of the application has been changed integrate with Sakai. Links for Mac and Windows are listed below; clicking the link will download a zip file to your computer:
- Download iClicker for Mac: https://sakai.rutgers.edu/x/sRxCCE
- Download iClicker for Windows: https://sakai.rutgers.edu/x/XivFIl
**NOTE: If you intend to use the podium computer in a classroom, please make sure to save the UNZIPPED folder on a USB drive that you can take with you. All session data will be saved in the iClicker folders. If you intend to use your own computer, then it is fine to leave the iclicker folder saved to your hard drive.
Additional Support Guides for Sakai
Did you find this article helpful?